Saturday, February 5, 2011

The long way home

Sadly, our visit to England came to an end on Wednesday. We had been there for nearly six weeks and had adjusted to life in our little flat and spending time with my family. Max and Zoe went through so many changes on this trip and really developed into little (bossy!) people. The very best part was them getting to know their cousins and seeing all the kids together. They are going to miss "JackaBeo" (Jack and Theo) so much.

I was dreading the flight home after the horror we endured getting to the UK, but though challenging it was easier. It started off very badly indeed with Zoe throwing up in the car as we left at 6:15 a.m. followed by a jackknifed lorry that closed down all but one lane of the freeway. Zoe continued to be sick when we arrived at the airport, so I grabbed a couple more shirts from the bag before checking it. Good job too as it turned out to be a four shirt flight. Sadly for me I had just the one shirt so I was smelling lovely by the end.

So you are asking how can that be better than the way there? Well in between the throwing up Zoe just slept for most of the flight. Max slept too, maybe 5 out of the 10 hours. They watched their DVD's for about 2 hours each and nobody screamed. Yes we had to engage them and walk around with them but that is fine if nobody is screaming. I am not sure why Zoe couldn't sleep on the way over there, but it may have been the Benedryl. I didn't do it on the way back and they both slept a lot better.

It took 17 hours to get back with the flight connection through London. There is nothing fun about traveling for 17 hours for anyone, but in the end I am glad I went. It was great to spend time with my family, and it is nice to know that they all got to know Max and Zoe a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment